village Dacia, county Brasov
Having crossed the small town of Rupea, walking on the large road, one can see a narrower road opening on the left and slowly going down in a slope, then suddenly turning towards “the big hill”. A large plain offers a dreamlike panorama, a background on which one can spot, about 5 km away, the pointy steeple of the Transylvanian Saxon church, around which the village of Dacia is nestled. This church has been called from the old days, by the Transylvanian Saxon inhabitants, Stein or Stena, the original name, Stena, coming from the German word Stein, i.e. “rock” or “stone”, and was first attested in a document from 1309 (under the Latin name Lapis – “stone”).
Dacia and the villages Jibert, Lovnic, Grânari, Văleni, are included in the commune of Jibert, with a population of 2,535 inhabitants. Specific activities in the area are agriculture and cattle breeding.
Object of interest:
Dacia (German: Stein): The Saxon fortified church (Evangelic-Lutheran church) and the Romanian Orthodox church. Within the Evangelic-Lutheran fortified church some parts of the Roman church of the 13th century are preserved: the choir place and the columns between the central nave and lateral aisles of the church. The choir place occupies 3/6 of the polygonal sanctuary. The church was transformed in 1500, when the lateral aisles of the central nave were demolished and a defensive level, above the choir, was constructed. In 1845, the church was extended toward west, on which occasion a new bell tower being constructed. The precincts outside the church are square-shaped, having towers in the corners.
Jibert (German: Seiburg):The Saxon Evangelic-Lutheran church and the Romanian orthodox church. The Jibert Commune was first mentioned in a document in 1289 as Villa Syberg, and had, in the beginning, a Saxon church with a single nave, built in Romanesque style. After 1450 the strong bell tower built on the west facade was transformed, to be used for defensive purposes. Around the year 1500 the church was surrounded with a precinct’s high wall, braced by towers. Between 1859 and 1686 both the church and the fortified church were demolished and in 1868 began the building of the new Evangelic-Lutheran church. The old organic, in Baroque style, has 2 manuals and 16 registers.
Lovnic (German: Leblang):First mentioned in 1206 as Villa Lewenech – The Evangelic-Lutheran church and the Romanian orthodox church.
Grânari (Hungarian: Nagymoha, German: Mukendorf): first mentioned 1289 as terra Muhy – the Hungarian reformed church (17th century) and the Romanian Orthodox wooden church of St. Paraskewa (18th century).
Văleni(Hungarian: Dombos, German: Wallendorf):the Hungarian reformed church and the Romanian orthodox church.